Chairman – Cllr Mark Curtis
Vice Chairman – Cllr Mick Westerman
Cllr Martin Walker
Cllr Mick Dowse
Cllr Javaid Akhtar
Cllr Julie Adams Ex-Officio
Cllr Samantha Cooper
Cllr Peter Corkindale
Cllr Mohammed Ikram
The Policies & Governance Committee oversees the vision and strategy for Keighley and the Council which incorporates economic, environmental and health issues and where possible compliments the district strategic policy whilst ensuring best practice principles for the Town.
The committee also considers all policy and governance documents affecting the council and keep committees up to date on the implications.
Committee meetings are held on 1st Tuesday of the month at 6.00pm and meetings are held monthly.
Terms of Reference
- To formulate a vision and strategy for Keighley and the Council which incorporates economic, environmental and health issues and where possible compliments the district strategic policy whilst ensuring best practice principles for the Town.
- To consider the implications of the Localism Act and to keep the Town Council and its committees informed of the implications of consultations that will impact on their area of concern and to work with them to devise appropriate and effective responses.
- To consider all policy and governance documents affecting Town and Parish Councils and keep committees up to date on implications.
- To review and scrutinise the effectiveness of the governance of the Council and to carry out an annual audit of governance and policy documents used by the Council.
- To review Standing Orders as and when it appears necessary or at least every three years and make recommendations to full Council
- To carry out an audit of the standards and systems used by the Council which are not of a financial nature to part comply with section 2 of the Annual Governance statement
- To review Committee remits and roles and ensure they are adhered to and to review Financial Regulations in conjunction with the Finance Committee.
- To facilitate the productions of plans and statements and to monitor the implementation of the Town Plan.
- To encourage members of the Council to attend conferences and Training courses where it is considered to be of value to the council to do so.
- To investigate, take advice on and initiate negotiations on such issues as devolution, local area agreements, taking into consideration the Parish Charter and any relevant legislation.
- To have responsibility for the Town Magazine and to encourage all councillors and other Committees to contribute on a regular basis.
- To check all payments made by the Committee when submitted with the financial report.
- To be responsible for any budget delegated to it by the Town Council and conform to the principle of Best Value by reviewing the outcomes of its’ financial resolutions.